Brilliant Minor Football ‘A’ Championship Semi-Final Victory

(03 Nov 2019)

Brilliant Minor Football ‘A’ Championship Semi-Final Victory

Castleknock 1-13 Ballyboden St. Endas 1-11

Late points from Cian Boyle and Ben Harding powered 14-man Castleknock to an impressive two-point win over Ballyboden in this breathtaking Minor ‘A’ Championship Semi-Final in Ballyboden this morning (Nov.3).

In spite of the heavy over-night rain the two teams served up a feast of football with Castleknock availing of two turnovers to forge an early two-point lead courtesy of points from Evan McSherry and Conor Chawke.

Next Conor Chawke brought a great save from the Ballyboden goalkeeper before Cian Boyle raised a green flag which the referee ruled out due to a disagreement between the two ‘not-so-neutral’ umpires.

However, a superb passing movement did end with a Cian Boyle point on 12 minutes but still by the end of the first quarter Ballyboden had pulled level.

Castleknock then scored three points in as many minutes, the first from a Conor Chawke free after Luke Swan was fouled and almost straight from the kick-out Conor Chawke added another point from play. The third point in the sequence came from Ronan McCann after he was set-up by Cian Boyle.

Further points from Conor Chawke and Cian Boyle left Castleknock 0-8 0-6 in front at the break after a an excellent first-half display which included another superb Conor Kelly save on 21 minutes.

Castleknock’s opening score in the second-half came from Cian Boyle after good play by Senan Forker. Conor Murray and Conor Chawke came close to goaling before the latter finally found the Ballyboden net eight minutes into the half after cutting in from the left wing.

Conor Murray added a point following a pitch-length move and when Luke Swan scored a fine point from distance Castleknock looked to be in total control leading by six points, 1-11 0-8.

Castleknock went down to 14 players following a ‘second-yellow red’ as the game entered the final quarter and Ballyboden took full advantage of their numerical superiority.

In the next ten minutes the home team wiped out Castleknock’s entire six point lead scoring 1-3 in the process to leave the sides level at 1-11 apiece with five minutes left.

In spite of enormous Ballyboden pressure Castleknock raised the siege three times in those final minutes. Four minutes from time a terrific move begun by Joe Kelly and carried on by Conor Murray saw Conor Chawke win a penalty which he took himself only to have his kick brilliantly saved off the post by the Ballyboden goalkeeper.

Even so Castleknock came strongly again with first Cian Boyle putting the visitors back in front and then Ben Harding sealing the victory with a point off the inside of the Ballyboden upright for a richly merited win.

It takes two great teams to produce a great match like this and that’s exactly what we had today. The football throughout was of the highest calibre but Castleknock know it will take a similar performance to see off Thomas Davis in the Final.

Castleknock: Conor Kelly; Tiego Mantero-Belard; David Bohan; Robert O’Shea; Alex Watson; Senan Forker; Ben Harding (0-1); Joe Kelly; Fionn Gibbons; Ronan McCann (0-1); Luke Swan (0-1); Evan McSherry (0-1); Conor Chawke (1-4); Conor Murray (0-1); Cian Boyle (0-4). Subs: Matthew Byrne; Gavin Murphy-O’Kane; Eoin Sawyer. Panel: Thomas Norton; Jordan Dargan-Akiwumi; Daniel Murphy.

Managers: Declan Hannigan; Gerry Kindlon.


No luck unfortunately for the other two Minor Football teams.

Minor ‘C’ Football Championship Semi-Final

Castleknock 0-13 St. Pater’s 4-15

Minor ‘E’ Football Championship Semi-Final

Castleknock 1-9 St. Pat’s Palmerstown 3-6

Castleknock Abú

Report: Kevin Mallon



Club Sponsors - please support







To advertise here contact or 0877532030

Search - Use spaces to separate your keywords