Castleknock Senior Footballers Off To Winning SFC Start

(25 Jul 2020)

Castleknock 2-15 St. Oliver Plunketts/ Eoghan Rua 1-11

A deadly scoring spell in the 8 minutes before and the 8 minutes after half-time when Castleknock scored 2-5 without reply was enough to ensure victory over a gritty Oliver Plunketts outfit in this all-ticket Senior 1 Football Championship First Round match in Somerton on Saturday evening (July 25).

The sides were level 7 times in the first-half before Castleknock finally got to grips with the visitors challenge. Sean Bugler got the Navan Road side off to a good start with two points and it took points from Seamus O’Carroll, Tommy McDaniel, Ciarán Kilkenny (playing at centre-back) and Rob Shaw to keep Castleknock in touch.

Indeed was it not for the brilliant goalkeeping of Morven Connolly who on 14 minutes pulled off the first of three amazing saves the home team could have been in serious trouble.

Tommy McDaniel popped over a free which he himself won but 22 minutes into the half Oliver Plunketts opened up a two-point lead (0-7 0-5). However, the Castleknock response was clinical. Ger McDermottroe fired over a point after being set up by Paul Bourke. Tommy McDaniel scored two more points, the first after he took an excellent inside ‘mark’ before on 30 minutes Conor Chawke exploded onto the scene.

Winning a turnover in midfield he then raced forward to get on the end of a 4 man move to slot low to the Oliver Plunketts net and as if that wasn’t enough he then hit a huge point from out on the left to leave Castleknock with a comfortable 5 point interval lead (1-9 0-7).

The second-half opened as the first had ended. First full-back Eoin O’Brien stormed upfield to set up Darragh Warnock for a fine point and then the referee made the brave call which effectively ended the match as a contest.

He called back play from the Castleknock half to consult with his umpires at the other end and after a long discussion he awarded Castleknock a penalty for an off-the-ball foul on Conor Chawke. Ger McDermottroe’s sweetly struck penalty goal then gave Castleknock a 9-point lead 2-10 0-7.

Never giving up Oliver Plunketts plugged away and got their reward when 5 minutes from time a Bernard Brogan goal left just a score between the sides (2-11 1-11). Again, Castleknock responded well. Shane Boland made a number of great runs and substitute Kevin Stephenson set up Ger McDermottroe for a relieving point followed by three points in-a-row from the revitalised Ben Galvin to remove any doubts that might have arisen.

It was an historic evening as it was also the first time a Dublin SFC match was played in Somerton but  next, it’s away to Raheny in St. Annes Park.

Castleknock: Morven Connolly: Ciaran Murphy; Eoin O’Brien; Tom Quinn; James Tolan; Ciarán Kilkenny (0-1); Rob Shaw (0-1); Darragh Warnock (0-1); Paul Bourke; Seamus O’Carroll (0-1); Ben Galvin (0-3); Shane Boland; Conor Chawke (1-1); Ger McDermottroe (1-3); Tommy McDaniel (0-4). Subs: James Sherry; Kevin Kindlon; Kevin Stephenson; Niall Millmore.

Manager: Declan O’Sullivan
Match report: Kevin Mallon
Photos: Niall O'Connell

Club Sponsors - please support


To advertise here contact or 0877532030

Search - Use spaces to separate your keywords