Epic Minor Football Quarter-Final Ends In Draw AET

(20 Oct 2019)

Epic Minor Football Quarter-Final Ends In Draw AET

Castleknock 2-14 Lucan Sarsfields 1-17 (AET)

Three brilliant Conor Kelly saves in the first 15 minutes meant that, instead of the game already being out of sight, Castleknock had the opportunity to battle back and live to fight another day after this pulsating Minor Football ‘A’ Championship Quarter-Final in Somerton on Sunday morning (Oct.20).

The first of those Conor Kelly saves came less than 45 seconds into the game and it marked the beginning of a Lucan phase of total dominance which yielded 1-2. Saves two and three, on 12 and 15 minutes, were even more vital as they really kept Castleknock in the game because a Conor Chawke point from play was all Castleknock had to show for their efforts by the end of that first Quarter.

Only then did Castleknock begin to settle down and chip away at the Lucan lead. While Lucan went 20 minutes without scoring Castleknock recovered well pointing three times through Luke Swan, Evan McSherry and Conor Chawke to leave just a point in it at the break, 0-4 -1-2.

A minute into the second-half the game took another twist when a Conor Chawke 45’ went all the way to the top left hand corner of the Lucan net to give Castleknock the lead for the first time 1-4 1-3. Lucan hit back with a point which was cancelled out by a similar score from Conor Murray.

Then five minutes into the second-half Luke Swan won possession, soloed forward and brought a great save from the Lucan goalkeeper only for the inrushing Conor Murray to blast to the visitor’s net and put Castleknock five points up.

Undeterred Lucan hit back scoring six of the next eight points, Castleknock’s two points coming from Conor Chawke frees. Further Castleknock scores from Alex Watson and Conor Chawke levelled the match with nine minutes left but when Lucan went two points ahead with only five minutes left it looked bad for the home team.

Ronan McCann’s point reduced the margin to one and then after Conor Murray’s effort at an equaliser came back off the crossbar, up stepped midfielder Fionn Gibbons to land the saving point and send the game into Extra-Time. Castleknock 2-11 Lucan 1-14.

Extra-Time as is so often the case was a low scoring affair. A Luke Swan point after some great work by Joe Kelly put Castleknock back in front but Lucan equalised to make it 2-12 1-15 at the Extra-Time interval.

In the second-half of Extra-Time both teams scored twice, Ronan McCann and Luke Swan the Castleknock scorers to ensure that the sides will have to meet again after what was a truly epic struggle. Honours even and hats off to both sets of players for providing such great entertainment.

Castleknock: Conor Kelly; Tiego Mantero-Belard; David Bohan; Robert O’Shea; Alex Watson (0-1); Senan Forker; Ben Harding; Joe Kelly; Fionn Gibbons (0-1); Evan McSherry (0-1); Conor Murray (1-2); Jordan Dargan-Akiwumi; Conor Chawke (1-4); Luke Swan (0-3); Daniel Murphy. Subs: Ronan McCann (0-2); Gavan Murphy-O’Kane; Thomas Norton; Eoin Sawyer; Matthew Byrne. Cian Boyle out injured.

Managers: Declan Hannigan; Gerry Kindlon.

Sunday morning produced two great results also in the Minor Football Championships which means that two Castleknock teams are already through to the Semi-Finals with the ‘A’ team’s Quarter-Final replay against Lucan still to come.

Minor Football ‘C’ Championship Quarter-Final

Castleknock 3-11 St. Mark’s 2-8

Minor Football ‘E’ Championship Quarter-Final

Castleknock 3-3 St. Vincent’s 1-4    

Club Sponsors - please support







To advertise here contact pro@castleknock.net or 0877532030

Search - Use spaces to separate your keywords